Mr Charles Pilgrim
MBBS, FRACS, PhD
|Mr Charles Pilgrim
Tel: 03 9509 4811
Fax: 03 9509 1522
Dr Charles Pilgrim offers general and laparoscopic upper gastrointestinal surgery including laparoscopic hernia surgery as well specialist surgery for cancer and other disorders of the pancreas, liver, gallbladder and bile ducts.
Dr Pilgrim graduated from Monash University in 2000 and entered surgical training at The Alfred, Melbourne. He gained his fellowship in General Surgery in 2007 and in 2008 was the Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery fellow at The Alfred before commencing his PhD though the University of Melbourne at Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre in 2009. He completed this in 2012 and then moved to the USA to complete a second fellowship as the Surgical Oncology fellow in Hepatopancreaticobiliary (HPB) Surgery at the Medical College of Wisconsin Cancer Centre.
Dr Pilgrim has published extensively in many high impact factor peer-reviewed medical journals such as the Journal of the American College of Surgeons, Annals of Surgery, Journal of the American Medical Association - Surgery, the Australian and New Zealand Journal of Surgery and the journal HPB (the journal of the International HPB association [IHPBA]), on the topics of pancreas cancer, liver cancer and gallbladder cancer, as well as laparoscopic surgery.
He is a member of the IHPBA, the Americas HPB association (AHPBA), the Australian & New Zealand HPB association (ANZHPBA), the Society of Surgical Oncology (SSO) and the Australasian Gastrointestinal Trials group (AGITG). He is accredited by GESA to perform gastroscopy and colonoscopy.
Dr Pilgrim works with the Victorian HPB Surgery group at Cabrini Medical Centre Malvern and at Winifred Street Consulting Suites Frankston and has appointments with the Upper GI Surgery – Hepatopancreaticobiliary Service at The Alfred, the Trauma Surgery Service at The Alfred and in General and Emergency Surgery at Frankston Hospital and Sandringham Hospital. He is a serving military surgeon with the Royal Australian Army Medical Corps and deployed to Afghanistan in 2010. He is a senior lecturer at Monash University and a Trauma instructor and examiner for the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. He is also a member of the Academy of Surgical Educators with the College of Surgeons.
For a complete list of publications please click here:
- Pilgrim CHC, Tsai S, Evans DB, Christians KK, Mesocaval shunting - a novel technique to facilitate venous resection and reconstruction and enhance exposure of the superior mesenteric and celiac arteries during pancreaticoduodenectomy. J Am Coll Surg, 2013, 217 (3), e17-20.
- Pilgrim CHC, Groeschl R, Turaga, K, Gamblin TC, Key factors influencing prognosis in relation to gallbladder cancer. Dig Dis Sci, 2013, 58 (9), 2455-62. doi:10.1007/s10620-01302713-y
- Pilgrim CHC, Groeschl R, Christians KK, Gamblin TC, Modern perspectives on factors predisposing to the development of gallbladder cancer. HPB, 2013, 15 (11), 839-44. doi: 10.1111/hpb.12046
- Pilgrim CHC, Groeschl R, Quebbeman E, Gamblin TC, Recent advances in systemic therapies and radiotherapy for gallbladder cancer. Surg Onc, 2013, 22, 61-7.
- Pilgrim CHC, Groeschl R, Pappas S, Gamblin TC, An often overlooked diagnosis: imaging features of gallbladder cancer. J Am Coll Surg, 2013, 216 (2), 333-9, selected for JACS CME program.
- Pilgrim CHC, Satgunaseelan L, Pham A, Murray W, Link E, Smith M, Usatoff V, Evans PM, Banting S, Thomson BN, Phillips WA, Michael M, Correlations between histopathological diagnosis of chemotherapy-induced hepatic injury, clinical features and perioperative morbidity. HPB, 2012, 14 (5), 333-40. doi: 10.1111/j.1477-2574.2012.00454.x
- Pilgrim CHC, Thomson BN, Banting S, Phillips WA, Michael M, The developing clinical problem of chemotherapy induced hepatic injury. ANZ J Surg, 2012, 82 (2), 23-29. doi: 10.1111/j.1445-2197.2011.05789.x
- Pilgrim CHC, Brettingham-Moore K, Pham A, Murray W, Link E, Smith M, Usatoff V, Evans PM, Banting S, Thomson BN, Michael M, Phillips WA, mRNA gene expression correlates with histologically diagnosed chemotherapy induced hepatic injury. HPB, 2011, 13 (11), 811-16. DOI:10.1111/j.1477-2574.2011.00365.x
- Pilgrim CHC, Bailey M, McIntyre R. Prospective audit of parastomal hernia. Dis Colon Rectum, 2010, 53 (1), 71-6.
- Pilgrim, CHC, Satgunaseelan L, Ward S, Evans PM, Gallbladder carcinoma as a long term complication of cholecystojejunostomy. J Gastrointest Surg, 2009, 13 (12), 2330 - 32. D.O.I. 10.1007/s11605-009-0879-6
- Pilgrim CHC, Usatoff V, Evans PM, A review of the surgical strategies for the management of gallbladder carcinoma based on T stage and growth type of the tumour. Euro J Surg Oncol, September 2009, 35 (9), 903-907. D.O.I. 10.1016/j.ejso.2009.02.005
- Pilgrim CHC, Usatoff V, Evans PM, Consideration of anatomical structures relevant to the surgical strategy for managing gallbladder carcinoma. Euro J Surg Oncol, October 2009, 35 (10), 1131-1136. D.O.I. 10.1016/j.ejso.2009.02.006
- Pilgrim CHC, To H, Usatoff V, Evans PM, Laparoscopic hepatectomy is a safe procedure for cancer patients. HPB, 2009, 11 (3), 247 – 51.
- Pilgrim CHC, Nottle P, Laparoscopic repair of iatrogenic colonic perforation. Surg laparosc, endosc percutan tech, June 2007. 17 (3), 215-7.
- Pilgrim, CHC, Usatoff V, Role of laparoscopy in blunt liver trauma. ANZ J Surg, May 2006. 76 (5), 403 – 6.
- Groeschl RT, Pilgrim CHC, Hanna EM, Simo KA, Swan RZ, Sindram D, Martinie JB, Iannitti DA, Bloomston M, Schmidt C, Khabiri H, Shirley LA, Martin RCG, Tsai S, Turaga KK, Christians KK, Rilling WS, Gamblin TC, Microwave Ablation for Hepatic Malignancies: A Multi-institutional Analysis. Ann Surg, 2013, (in press).
- Pappas S, Pilgrim CHC, Keim R, Harris R, Wilson S, Turaga K, Tsai S, Dua K, Khan A, Oh Y, Gamblin TC, Christians KK, A new indication? The Frey procedure for chronic pancreatitis secondary to pancreas divisum. JAMA Surgery (formally Arch Surg), 2013, Sep 4. doi: 10.1001/jamasurg.2013.3728
- Chandra R, Pilgrim CHC, Usatoff V, Staged liver resection for colorectal metastases: a valuable strategy or a waste of time. Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int, Dec 2010, 9 (6), 600 – 4
- Groeschl RT, Hong J, Christians KK, Turaga K, Tsai S, Pilgrim CHC, Gamblin TC, Viral Status at the Time of Liver Transplantation for Hepatocellular Carcinoma: A Predictor of Long-Term Survival in the Modern Era. HPB, 2013 (in press)
- Christians KK, Pappas S, Pilgrim CHC, Tsai S, Evans DB, Quebbeman E, Duplicate pancreas meets gastric duplication cyst: a tale of two anomalies. Int J Surg Case Reports, 2013 (in press)
- Sullivan KM, Groeschl RT, Turaga KK, Tsai S, Christians KK, White SB, Rilling WS, Pilgrim CHC, Gamblin TC, Neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio as a predictor of outcomes for patients with hepatocellular carcinoma: A Western perspective. J Surg Oncol, 2013, Oct 4, doi:10.1002/jso.23448
- Freeman L, Brown WA, Korin A, Pilgrim CHC, Smith A, Nottle P, An approach to the assessment and management of the laparoscopic adjustable gastric band patient in the Emergency Department. Emergency Medicine Australasia, 10.1111/j.1742-6723.2011.01396.x
Click here to view Mr Charles Pilgrim's full CV
You will need the Adobe Reader to view and print the above document.